Brown Butter Irish Soda Bread
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup dried currants
1 egg white, beaten
Honey- Butter (optional):
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon honey
1 or 2 shakes of ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Melt the butter in small saucepan over medium heat until melted and golden brown (stirring often and keeping a close eye), 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and set it aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the brown butter and buttermilk until the flour mixture is moistened and comes together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface. Sprinkle the currants on top and knead them gently into the dough until the dough comes together, about 7 turns. Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into ball, and lightly flatten each into 6-inch round. Place the rounds on ungreased baking sheet, spacing 5 inches apart. Use a knife to cut a 1/2-inch deep “X” in the top of each round of dough. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
5. Bake the loaves until they turn deep golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool breads on rack at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
6. If you’d like to make the honey butter, just mix the butter with honey and cinnamon in a small bowl until blended. Serve with the bread.
Tip from Bon Appetit:
You’ll get the most tender soda bread by kneading the dough gently and briefly, just until it comes together, so the gluten is minimally developed.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (adapted from Bon Appetit)
By JEAN TREBEK
Jean is a Professional Religious Science Practitioner, Reiki Master and Sound Healer. She grew up on Long Island, NY, and now lives in Los Angeles. She has two wonderful adult children, Matthew and Emily, with her beloved late husband, Alex. Jean enjoys taking long walks, watching movies, and traveling. She is very grateful for her family, friends, Luna (the dog) and good coffee.
Connect With Us on Social Media!
Dove Rose helps us honor our Truth by giving us a glimpse into how she respects her needs, expressing her kindness and lives authentically.
Whether it’s scientists conserving a rare species or rediscovering one thought to be forever lost; a young girl standing up to government in order to protect bees or new farmers working to regenerate land and revitalize communities, our spirits are fed by communing with nature…
David Konig is a comic, an author, a comedy writer, an actor AND a painter. We feature his oil paintings and sketches, while he makes us laugh… really!